[UWAB] Lunch today - last minute but it will be GOOD if you can make it!

Biggers, Maureen Short maureen at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 20 08:54:04 EDT 2005

I met an awesome woman yesterday and she is giving a brown bag luncheon
today in TSRB 132 - I ordered 10 extra lunches so any of you can go over
to hear her and lunch is free.  Take a friend even!

Kelly Braun is a GT alum who went on to Duke to get her PhD and works in
HCI type stuff for eBay and PayPal.  You can learn a lot from her about
the work environment, different jobs, etc.  Here is more info - hope to
see you there (I'm going over after my class).

Kelly is currently the Senior Manager of PayPal's User Experience
Research team.  Kelly has been at eBay, Inc. since 1999 and has managed
User Experience Research, Usability, UI and Content Management teams for
the eBay Marketplace.

Kelly has been involved in the HCI field for over 20 years as either a
computer scientist or a cognitive psychologist.  Kelly holds a BS in
Computer Science from Georgia Tech and a PhD in Cognitive Psychology
from Duke.  She has also worked for Bell-Northern Research, Nortel
Networks and Oracle.

In 2005, Kelly participated in a panel at CHI "Corporate Re-orgs: Poison
or Catalyst to HCI", and co-authored papers at UPA "Visual Cluster
Analysis and Fold Analysis: Methodologies for Quantitatively Analyzing
Participatory Design Data" and HCII, "Designing the e-commerce User
Experience for China".

Kelly also contributed to the books, "Understanding Your Users: A
practical guide to user requirements" by Courage & Baxter, 2004, and
"Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself" by Braun, Gadney, et al. 2003.

Kelly was the first woman editor-in-chief of the Georgia Tech student
newspaper, The Technique.

Have a great meeting - sorry I must miss due to class.  I gave Laura my
update on faculty responses to share with you.

Maureen

Maureen Biggers

Assistant Dean for Diversity and Special Programs

College of Computing, Georgia Tech

801 Atlantic Drive

Atlanta, GA 30332-0280

404.894.3181  (office)