[robocup-small] November RoboCup SSL Update and Response to Request of Transparency

RoboTeam Twente info at roboteamtwente.nl
Wed Nov 27 12:06:16 EST 2019

Dear SSL-Community and Committee members,

We would like to start this message by thanking you for consulting the
community on the proposed rule changes and that we are saddened by the
sudden resignation of our beloved OC members. Like the teams that gave
their feedback before us, we are concerned about the amount and impact of
the rule changes this late in the year. We evaluated the proposed changes
disregarding the difficulties that may occur in the implementation of our
software, to increase the quality of the SSL.

*Number of robots + field size*
We agree with the increase of robots from 8 to 11, as was determined in the
open TC/OC meeting. Like ER-Force, we do not think that this increment is
feasible without increasing the field size. The reasoning is that the
current field size causes the same area per robot as in Division B. While
this argumentation seems reasonable, there are some problems. The type of
gameplay differs (greatly) between the two divisions. In Division A, the
gameplay is more dynamic and defence is a primary focus. Maintaining the
current field size could cause more crashes or decrease the speed of
gameplay in Division A, slowing down the games. Furthermore, as ER-Force
pointed out in their email, it is possible to cover the entire goal line
using 11 robots.

We propose that in order to work with 11 robots, the field size should also
be increased. If the financial resources to increase the field size are not
available, we should work with 8 robots in Bordeaux.

*Introducing walls into a subset of games (DivA only)*
While we understand the motivation behind adding walls to the games, we do
not support the initiative. We think it is a treatment for the symptom,
when the underlying problem is that we simply need to get better at keeping
the ball in the field. By introducing handicaps like walls, we are suddenly
playing an entirely different game. This diverges from the original goal of
the robocup, where the SSL was meant to focus on creating the top-level
strategies, which can then be translated to the middle size and humanoid
league, to eventually accomplish the goal of creating a humanoid soccer
team.

More specifically, adding walls to the field opens up multiple new
strategies and tactics that all do not work for real soccer. Therefore, we
essentially produce research that cannot easily be applied to the other
leagues.

Finally, should the TC/OC still consider it necessary to add walls, we
would propose they only be placed at the sides of the field, and not at the
goal lines. Taking a shot at goal should be risky: in real soccer, if you
take a shot at goal and miss, you lose your ball possession and have to
start your attack all over again. However, with the currently proposed
changes, as long as you are fast enough, you can send a lot of robots close
to the goal, and they will just reflex-kick continuously in the direction
of the defending goal, until the defending team can chip/clear the ball to
the other side of the field. Such a scenario is more of a shooting gallery
than a soccer match.

*Merge indirect and direct free kick into direct free kick (both Div)*
The difference between an indirect and direct free kick is difficult to
detect for the autoRef as well as the human referee. This casued several
arguments during the matches and until we can properly detect when a free
kick should be direct or indirect, we agree that both should be merged into
direct free kick. We do believe that the autoRef should be improved to
properly detect the difference, since direct and indirect free kicks are
used in human soccer games which means we have to be able to work with them
some day.

*Remove the double touch foul (both Div)*
We agree with the removal of double touch, since this will encourage the
teams to experiment with dribbling by small kicks. We do however wish that
the double touch foul remains valid during penalties (if they are not
removed) since this allows for unfair gameplay (and is also not allowed in
real soccer).

*Robot interchange during game play (DivA only) + Do not stop game for
yellow cards (both Div)*The way we understand the current changes, we are
afraid that it might get unsafe for the person that has to interchange the
robots. Also, with the cards not bound to individual robots, the software
does not know which robot the team wants to take out of the field. If this
was known, the robot could drive to a position on the field where it can be
safely removed. The way we understand it, someone has to now remove a
moving robot from the field. Furthermore, the outfit of an individual could
mess with the vision and the individual can be detected as a ball.

As a final note we would like to see a clear goal for the SSL. With the
proposed changes we are getting further and further away from an actual
soccer game, which is the current goal, and working towards a game which is
'fun to look at'.

On behalf of RoboTeam Twente,

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

Selina Zwerver

*Finance & Logistics Manager*
*RoboTeam Twente | University of Twente*

Mobiel:    +31 618 70 2636
Internet:   RoboTeam Twente <https://roboteamtwente.nl/>
LinkedIn:  Selina Zwerver
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/selina-zwerver-5462bb129/>