[robocup-small] November RoboCup SSL Update and Response to Request of Transparency

Lukas Wegmann lukas.wegmann at robotics-erlangen.de
Mon Nov 25 12:31:58 EST 2019

Dear SSL-Community and Committee members,

first of all we would like to thank you for being open about the
upcoming rule proposals and enabling feedback.
That being said, we have various concerns and comments regarding them.

We wish to preface this by saying that, while we appreciate striving to
improve the SSL as a whole, the proposed changes are numerous, sudden
and time intensive to implement. The consequence will be that less time
can be spent on developing actual AI improvements that would contribute
to meaningful research. This is reinforced by the fact that many if not
most of the changes are completely unexpected and some even directly
contradict decisions made in the open TC/OC meeting of the previous
RoboCup, which we find especially unacceptable.

Nonetheless we wish to provide constructive feedback on the proposals
with the intent of contributing to make the SSL as best as it can be.

_*Number of robots increased to 11 (DivA only)*_
This change was already agreed upon during the open TC/OC meeting and we
think that it will improve gameplay and make further research necessary.
However, without the increase of the field size, it is not clear if this
change has the desired effects. The argument that there will still be
more space per robot than in Division B is lacking as no one said that
Division B has the optimal state. Especially since the defense of
Division A teams tends to be better than most Division B teams, even
fewer goals could be shot out of regular game play.

This fact can be shown by the image in the attachment, showing 11 robots
acting as defenders. Although there is some space between the robots,
they can essentially cover the whole front side of the defense area,
which would make it very hard to score goals against a defensive team.

Furthermore, we believe the statement that an increased field size would
not have any significant effect on ball outs to be vastly incorrect.
This years final game serves as a fine example of this, when the ball
did not leave the field for minutes at a time, leading to the referee
having to manually end  the match over a minute after the official game
time was over. While this is in general dependent on the teams in
question, the possibility of keeping the ball in play longer should
serve as an incentive for improving ball control and we think that
keeping the field size as it is would mitigate that.
Introducing walls into a subset of games (DivA only)
While in general we are not opposed to introducing walls to the SSL
league, we find it quite late in the year to implement such a radical
change. This would necessitate major changes in our software to properly
use the new options in the offense as well as to properly defend against
an attacker using such a strategy. We would prefer to have such radical
changes discussed in person at the RoboCup instead of them suddenly
being announced via email.

_*Reduce stoppages due to fouls (both Div)*_
The proposed changes on how to handle fouls seem inconsistent. First of
all, some offenses are explicitly marked to increase the foul counter
while some others are not. Continuing the game after excessive dribbling
while still counting goals shot after the fact allows teams to gain a
huge advantage in exchange for a relatively minor punishment. Giving
Force Start instead of a Freekick for some fouls, e.g. Kick Timeout or
Defender too close to Ball, without increasing the foul counter
effectively removes these rules. Also, "the percentage of game-states"
does not necessary correlate with "spent time on solving the problem" as
stated in the long term goals. We rarely focus our development time on
non-game-states, as we cannot score during those. While it still might
be an interesting metric for OC and viewers, it does not reflect the
time spent to solve a particular problem, and therefore should not be
overvalued by rule changes. For further comments, see the Google Document.

_*Add a cost to timeouts (DivA only)*_

While we can agree that reducing stoppage time of any kind, we have
several issues with this rule change in particular.
First of all we believe that inventing arbitrary and unrelated game
punishments to discourage a certain team behavior is lackluster at best.
So far there is not a single case where a certain team behaviour (except
for severe unsporting behavior) has any effect on the game state and we
think it should stay that way. Freekicks and fouls are designed for the
AI and robots, not their creators. There are plenty of other ways to
discourage or reduce timeouts and since many of the following rule
changes can already cost timeouts, we believe that no further punishment
is necessary.

_*Remove Penalty Kicks (both Div)*_

While we found the number of penalty kicks during the RoboCup
unreasonable (even given that we won most of our games due to penalty
kicks), the proposed change to drop them entirely might result in
adverse effects. For one, this punishes Division B teams far more than
Division A teams. When having 11 robots, losing one, two or even three
is not such a hard punishment, while when the game is played with only 6
robots, losing three is catastrophic. Punishing Division B teams more
for fouls is not reasonable as higher standards regarding fouls should
be applied to Division A teams instead.

Additionally, in case a Division A team does not have 11 robots (which
will most likely happen for some teams next year) or the game has only a
few minutes left, red and yellow cards mostly lose their significance.
Therefore, red cards may not present a sufficient punishment in Division A.

_*Vision dropouts (both Div)*_
While it is possible to navigate the own robots even with severely
degraded vision information, nothing can be done about the opponent
robots or the ball. Losing too much vision information about the
opponent will result in additional collisions and other fouls. In
addition, the autoref will not be able to properly judge the situation
without the required level of vision fidelity.
Having the teams make sure the vision is good enough before the game
will not solve this problem as games are often played directly one after
the other, leaving no time for vision adjustments in between.
Offering incentives to improve the SSL vision software might solve the
underlying problem in a more efficient and sustainable manner.

_*
*__*Final thoughts*_
Many of the proposed changes are just too much and too late after the
RoboCup. Such big rule changes should be discussed after the RoboCup
during the open TC/OC meeting and the conclusions reached there should
at least roughly be honored.
While many of the changes would surely succeed in bringing the non-game
time during games down to a minimum, they do not present significant
incentive or reason for more research in our league and might even
hinder it due to the time drain of additional implementation work.
Building robots is a slow, exhaustive and expensive process. A lot of
teams rely on the fact that their robots can be used for some time until
the financial and human resources recover.

This fact does lead me to wonder weather "big changes with rapid
adoption" are good for the league. It could lead to cheaper robots with
shorter lifetime, decreasing the overall performance of the league and
risking our position as the "most interesting league to watch on the
Robocup"

Therefore, we hope that the changes are reconsidered and properly
discussed in Bordeaux after the RoboCup.

Unrelated to the rule changes, we still miss a proper response and
clarification regarding the recent events like the Thunderbots have
already asked for. The resignation of two cherished OC members is
unprecedented and the email exchange leading up to this raises numerous
concerns about the way business is conducted.  We wholeheartedly back
the call for information that Thunderbots initiated. We are in desperate
need of more transparency.

With best regards

ER-Force