[robocup-small] tournament format, technical challenges, penalty shootout, robot markings

Alexander Danzer alexander.danzer at robotics-erlangen.de
Sat Aug 6 11:24:04 EDT 2016

Hi,

First, a big thank you to all of you for this great Robocup we had in
Leipzig.
For the next Robocup, we have a lot of ideas in the TC and OC on how to
improve
the Small Size League. We would like to share our ideas and invite you
contribute with proposals:

1. New tournament format
As discussed at the open OC TC meeting in Leipzig, there exist several
ideas
for an improved tournament format. Desirable properties would be a
double
elimination system, a reduced number of matches and matches with teams
at
a similar level. Please send us your proposals. The proposals should
take this
year's Robocup teams as a starting point to show how the exact
implementation
looks like.

2. Technical challenges
We are open to any ideas for technical challenges for next year. As
always, they
should work on interesting research problems with the goal to improve
the SSL.

3. Penalty shootout
There have been some complaints about the current form of deciding upon
a winner
in a tied match. Penalties offer little interesting AI aspects and have
a very high success rate. If you have any ideas how a more interesting
procedure could look like, please write us. (For example, take ice
hockey
penalties as a reference).

4. Robot markings
Spectators, especially those not familiar with the SSL, have a hard time
telling
the team to which an individual robots belongs to.
We therefore decided that "head bands" will be put at the topmost
centimeter of
the robots of one of the two teams, as CMDragons did this year. Please
consider
this when you work on your robots for next year's Robocup.

Best,
Alex