[robocup-small] the rule of "Two defender in defence area"

Angelo Gurzoni Jr jgurzoni at yahoo.com.br
Thu Nov 22 11:33:48 EST 2012

Hello everybody

I see the point that this rule alone is a source of disputes and a 'fix'
should be shought, however, I have similar concerns to those expressed by
Andrea, particularly the difficulties for referees to see the event in a
split second. Let's remind also that this rule was created to avoid teams
simply putting 3 robots in front of the goal, a similar reason why the
defense area was increased. If we remove it, simply, we may have the problem
it is currently preventing.

I also think that we need to be aware that adding 'precision' to the rules,
like defining a specific percentage of the robot in the area, tend not to
work because humans can't detect that with naked eye, neither is simple to
create measurement systems to this end. Teams and referees should focus on
the spirit of the rules, not on their millimeter precision.

The referee's power to judge an event is important and necessary, so what we
could do (regardless if this rule actually gets modified) is to do what real
soccer and virtually every sport does for referees: The organizing bodies
create guidelines and recommendation to help referees to interpret the
situations. For example, Fifa issues refereeing guidelines giving examples
and suggestions about what level of body contact is to be allowed, to what
level player complaints must be accepted before a yellow card, unsporting
behavior, and so on.

Amanda, Bahador and Chris started a guide like that, if I recall correctly.

Cheers

Angelo