[robocup-small] Major rules proposals for 2007

Yang Liu yli at puv.fi
Mon Jan 29 13:39:45 EST 2007

Hi,

Here are opinions from Botnia about proposed rule changes.

> --------------------------------
>   PROPOSED MAJOR RULES CHANGES
> --------------------------------
>
> ==== FIELD SIZE ====

We like this idea to increase the size gradually and would like to adopt it
in the coming competition.

> ==== SEMI-AUTOMATIC REFEREE ====

Ethernet based referee would be very nice for us, as our new strategy server
has no serial port at all but many ethernet ports. We are even making
ethernet to serial coverter if we have to use old serial based referee.

> ==== ROBOT KICK SPEED LIMITATION ====

The theoretical ball speed is already limited to centain value due to the
confined mechanics which is limited by the physical dimension of Small Size
League. In this case we don't think it's really necessary to set a limit,
unless the ball speed is ridiculously high. And also it's doubtable how
accurate about the judgement of whether a shoot exceeds the speed limit
during the game.

But we understand the idea to adopt speed limit for safety reasons, so we
prefer the highest possible speed limit, e.g. 12 m/s.

> ==== ROBOT KICKER SAFETY ====

For safety reasons we prefer to limit the kicker power, not the voltage. It
doesn't make sense to just limit the voltage alone. Even 100V DC shock could
be more dangerous than 230V household AC, especially with big capacitors.
High voltage is not fearful, if the electronic design is properly done, as
many consumer electronic products contain high voltage but no one have
shocking trouble with them.

> ==== NEW GOALS ====

It's good idea to change to a net. The proposed change won't affect our
system. But the top net should be raised a bit more to avoid robot stuck, as
it usually sinks under 15cm.

Best regards,
Yang Liu
On behalf of Botnia