[robocup-small] Major rules proposals for 2007

Ruben Stein rst at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Sun Jan 28 18:52:27 EST 2007

Hello everybody,

this is Ruben from B-Smart in Bremen, Germany. I'm sorry - we also got
slightly behind the schedule while discussing our ansers. You can read
the results below.

> ==== FIELD SIZE ====
We think there would be a positive effect as every team has to check the
code for hardcoded numbers, and due to this may easily adopt the
upcoming changes.

> ==== ROBOT KICK SPEED LIMITATION ====
We would prefer to limit the kick speed. In our opinion it can't be the
aim of this competition to create almost mortal weapons but to practise
strategy and fluent playing. Following from that we would prefer the
lowest limit of 2m/s as this grants the most possibilities to enforce
tactics.

> ==== ROBOT KICKER SAFETY ====
Generally we again would prefer a limit. Looking on the technical
aspects a bit closer nevertheless leads to another question. Our
electrical engineering technician commented the voltage restrictions as
follows:
Limiting only the voltage would make no sense, as getting shocked by a
100V system also hurts. His advice would be to decreed some general
electronic design directives. Basics like minimal distances of active
elements to touchable metal parts respecting the working voltage,
galvanic isolation of high voltage and controlling electronics, planned
condenser discharging and a proper case would reduce the danger a lot.

> ==== NEW GOALS ====
We absolutely support this idea. Additionally we suggest to replace the
boards by a more absorbing material. Perhaps this could implicitly push
the discussions concerning a new ball.

Greetings, Ruben