[robocup-small] Major rules proposals for 2007

Ryota NAKANISHI is031032 at cis.aichi-pu.ac.jp
Tue Jan 30 02:48:09 EST 2007

Team: RoboDragons

==== FIELD SIZE ====

Proposal: Increase field size slightly for 2007.  The
outer dimensions of the field remain the same,
but the inner dimensions are increased by 200mm in both
directions.  This is achieved by shrinking the
"margin" outside the area of play from 300mm to 200mm.

We don't think it is necessary to change the rule, because 10 cm
widening to each direction brings little merit to games.
However, if this rule will be changed, we want to keep the length
between the wall and side/goal line be 30 cm, i.e. overall area
would be widened.

==== SEMI-AUTOMATIC REFEREE ====

This year we will be adopting an ethernet-based referee,
which allows teams a measure of self-refereeing.  It is based on
the concept demonstrated at last year's RoboCup by Plasma-Z.
Participation this year will be voluntary, but strongly encouraged.
The referee program will still have a serial output like the old referee
program, but that interface may not have the full functionality
of the new ethernet interface.

We agree with the proposal. However, we do not know
detailed information at all.
If this is adopted, detailed information has to be
provided to teams at once.

==== ROBOT KICK SPEED LIMITATION ====

Proposal: Limit the maximum speed a ball can be kicked, to
something like 10m/s.

This is very important.
We prefer maximun speed of 8m/s.

==== ROBOT KICKER SAFETY ====

Proposal: Limit maximum voltage of energy storage for
kickers. Kicking devices are also not allowed to use explosive
chemical reactions to power their kick.

We don't think it is necessary to change.
If it will be changed, we prefer 250V.

==== NEW GOALS ====

The TC (and OC) is exploring the option of redesigning the
goals to better absorb ball impacts and avoid high speed rebounds.
This could take the form of foam or even changing the back to a net.

This proposal doesn't influence us.

==== BALL ====

The current ball will not be changed for this year, but
the TC is strongly considering different balls for 2008 and beyond.

Agree.

==== STRICT ENFORCEMENT OF BALL HOLDING RULES ====

This is not a rule change as much as a statement of future
enforcement policy.  Last year, robots were checked for rules
compliance before the competition, and many teams failed tests
for overall dimensions and ball holding.  Teams should expect
this again for 2007, and are encouraged to resolve issues before
coming to the competition.

Agree.

Regards
Ryota Nakanishi