[robocup-small] Proposed Rule Changes for SSL 2006 - Larger Field

Raul Rojas rojas at inf.fu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 15 12:54:14 EST 2005

**Proposal to duplicate the field size

There were many discussions in the list about energy, ball out of bounds,
passing, fast robots, fast ball. There were many different schemes which
were proposed to deal with the problem.

There is a single change which does not solve, but goes toward solving
all these problems:

--> increasing the field size.

Let me insist on this point.

When the small-size league started, the field was 5' by 9' (1.5 by 2.7
meters),
for a total area of 4.05 square meters. Now we have a 4,9 x 3,4 m playing
field,
which is 16.6 square meters (with a carpet of 4 by 5.5 meter).

Two weeks ago, we were able, in one single day, to build an 8 by 5.5 meter
field,
adjust our vision, and let two teams of robots play. We think that other
teams can do the
same with a relatively small effort. We do not have that whole space in our
lab, but we
can train in half a field (the old 4 by 5.5 m).

At a carpet size of 8x5.5m, the playing surface is 36.6 square meters,
twelve times
what the small-size league had in 1999.

At that field size: a) passing provides a real advantage, even when the
robots
are fast, b) it is almost impossible to run like crazy from side to side,
you have
to manage the energy of your robots, c) the ball and robots are slower,
relative
to the field size. d) Good field position and distribution becomes more
important,
strategy plays now a role; and e)The boundary is smaller with respect to the
field
size, i.e., it is easier to keep the ball inbounds.

**So, we propose to duplicate the carpet size to 8 bx 5.5 meters.***

If a team thinks they cannot develop the vision for that field size,
they can get our vision, which works at that field size.

Building smaller robots or having six robots on the field, at the current
field size, is actually a step backwards. The field will be more crowded.

I provide here the link to our video of the larger field, for those who have
not seen it: http://robocup.mi.fu-berlin.de/videos/tests/experiment.wmv

Increasing the field size in 2004 was a big step forward. The time is ripe
for a second big step forward.

Raul Rojas
FU-Fighters Team