[robocup-small] Re:Energy budget

Beng Kiat Ng nbk at np.edu.sg
Mon Sep 19 03:51:59 EDT 2005

Hi James!

May I know what kind of power your robot's CPU is drawing relative to the
whole robot power consumption? Is it much more than the other teams? I
wonder if the CPU power consumption worry is overblown. If a CPU board
draws 0.5A at 5 volts, a 8 cell 900mAh NiMh battery supply can  easily
supply the CPU power  for 2 hours. Hence the main limitation is still the
actuators' power consumption.

Limiting batteries can introduce interesting work in SSL. A team that's not
able to utilise the energy effectively will be penalised when it's robots'
batteries run flat before game end. Teams can make more interesting use of
the fresh substitution robots.

Anyway, this is my last email concerning this issue. If I can't convince
enough teams to support this idea by now, it's time to give up.

Regards
BengKiat