[robocup-small] Re:Energy budget

mweirich at informatik.uni-bremen.de mweirich at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Mon Sep 19 08:50:01 EDT 2005

Hi,

I think the problem is not to convince the teams to support the energy budget
idea. Most teams (if not all) would agree that a energy budget is a good idea
and can make games more interesting.

The problem is to find batteries that make it a "problem" for all teams
and what
to do if a team has such low-power components so that this team does
not have a
problem with the energy budget.
And some teams might have a problem with the additional costs of such
components
so that they can't compete anymore.

Our robots for example (3 wheels, one of the slowest in 2005
competition, one of
the weakest kickers) have 3200 mAh and can play a whole game without problems,
but it's only 1 game, especially for our forwards. If we have to use 1000mAh
batteries in this robots, without changing the hardware, we couldn't play a
whole game.

A virtual energy budget might be a better solution to work on, because it
doesn't have to change with the robot hardware.

Regards,
Marian Weirich
Team: B-Smart