[robocup-small] My Suggestions

Thomas Kraft thomas.kraft at gmx.at
Sat Sep 17 06:38:32 EDT 2005

Hello SSL Robocuppers,

I'm a former member of the Vienna cubes and had been the team leader in
Padua.
But I have to say, that I don't speak for the actual team!!!

My Opinion:
If you compare the Robocup soccer leagues the challenges/research topics
are different in every league, which should be fused to one league/team
in 2050:

Humanoid: Mechanics, Physiological Basic, Sensors/Actors
MSL: Autonomous of every Robot
SSL: Intelligent autonomous Team behaviour
Simulation League: Team Behaviour, Physical influence (distance,
stamina,..)

SSL has main features: speed, attractiveness, centralized referee and
team play (is there any league else where you can see a double pass or
an indirect free kick executed autonomous?)

The SSL is the most attractive league due the speed of the Bots.

Conclusion/Suggestions:

1) Walls (45 or 90 degree makes the game more attractive: 45 would be
better, because fast out shoots would lead to a standard situation)

2) The local vision is a development area of MSL, and should not
(/never!!!) be topic in SSL, the research focus should be on team
behaviour
but it is also the problem that passes and teamplay are not the main
team strategies, because of the fast robots!!!!

3) Dribblers are necessary to receive a pass, please never remove or
restrict them (also the dribbling distance rule could be removed, if you
use the rule in point 12. ).

4) Energy control and environmental influence is topic of simulation
league

5) An (half-) autonomous referee is a very good idea, it would differ
from the other leagues, only ssl implemts the hole gameplay including
ALL the situations which can happen in a real match.

6) Global vision isn't any longer a research topic: on vision
centralized for all teams would be enough.

7) Kick Off: the kicker must be inside the opponent's half to make a
pass to his teammate, like in real soccer games.

8) Penalty: longer distance.

9) goal area: increase the size,  an rectangular shape, no defender is
allowed to go inside, forwards are allowed, but the rule in point 12 is
necessary.

10) Main point for forcing team play: increasing field and using 7 to 8
instead of 5 robots.

11) Don't restrict kickers or chip kickers (they are genial, force
passing and make the game more attractive)

12) Forwarding/Striker foul: the striker who contacts a defender is
punished by foul (compare to real soccer: in a one - to - one situation:
striker - to - defender is a 10-20% chance for the striker to dribble
and pass the defender. The prevention of a Forward/striker Foul are
passes)

My main opinion is, that our main research topic is to force intelligent
team behaviour and fully autonomous gameplay.
The main Point is, to keep the league as attractive as it is or make it
more attractive, that means no restrictions on speed, dribblers,..

Best Regards from Vienna (Austria)
A former vienna cube

Thomas Kraft