[robocup-small] new ball.

Michael Babish babish at offthehill.org
Fri Sep 16 16:12:58 EDT 2005

> A size 5 (regular) ball is taller than the robot itself.  Maybe
> someone here knows the smallest "real" soccer ball you can get.

I admit that we're probably not ready to use a full-size soccer ball, but
the size difference shouldn't necessarily be a problem.  I remember seeing
the Fu Fighter robots playing around with a soccer ball back in 2000.  If
they could do it then, I'm sure we could do it now.

I think the floor hockey ball sounds like a better option, though.

>      I like the idea of a new ball that would be hard to get moving
> like the bullets that we saw this year in Osaka.  A suggestion that
> was made by a member of our team in the past was to use a standard
> orange floor hockey ball.  These are made of vinyl and are designed
> NOT to bounce (so that the after coming down onto the floor after a
> shot, they STAY on the floor), are a little larger than a tennis ball
> and are bright orange.

That sounds perfect to me.  It might work for the AIBO league, as well.