[robocup-small] new ball.

Beng Kiat Ng nbk at np.edu.sg
Sun Sep 18 21:03:36 EDT 2005

Hi!

I proposed to use the hockey ball about 2 to 3 years ago. But it's wasn't
popular as with any ideas that required teams to change their robots
drastically. Seems that teams are willing to live with the problem of golf
ball, so long as they can use theoir current robots.

Regards
BengKiat

             "Michael Babish"
             <babish at offthehil
             l.org>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  robocup-small at cc.gatech.edu
             robocup-small-bou                                          cc
             nces at cc.gatech.ed
             u                                                     Subject
                                       Re: [robocup-small] new ball.

             17/09/05 04:12 AM

             Please respond to
             babish at offthehill
                   .org

> A size 5 (regular) ball is taller than the robot itself.  Maybe
> someone here knows the smallest "real" soccer ball you can get.

I admit that we're probably not ready to use a full-size soccer ball, but
the size difference shouldn't necessarily be a problem.  I remember seeing
the Fu Fighter robots playing around with a soccer ball back in 2000.  If
they could do it then, I'm sure we could do it now.

I think the floor hockey ball sounds like a better option, though.

>      I like the idea of a new ball that would be hard to get moving
> like the bullets that we saw this year in Osaka.  A suggestion that
> was made by a member of our team in the past was to use a standard
> orange floor hockey ball.  These are made of vinyl and are designed
> NOT to bounce (so that the after coming down onto the floor after a
> shot, they STAY on the floor), are a little larger than a tennis ball
> and are bright orange.

That sounds perfect to me.  It might work for the AIBO league, as well.