AW: [robocup-small] Re: Looking ahead to RoboCup 2006

Marian Weirich mweirich at tzi.de
Fri Sep 9 07:29:16 EDT 2005

Raul Rojas wrote:
> Before everybody kills me with replies, let me say that I personally think
> that the
> size of the mid-size field is *ideal* for the small-size robots. I also
> think that it
> could be done, but it would require a lot of courage. It would solve the
> energy budget
> problem automatically. So, now kill me with replies.

The mid-size field is the best size, especially when playing 11 on 11,
it's nearly the same size to the small robots as a real field is to real
soccer players.
But it would be quite difficult to keep overhead vision on such a large
field, although it's possible, the mounts for the Cameras could be quite
expensive because of the size needed.

If moving to local vision it's definitely the best field size.

The point is, that all Leagues have something special.
If moving only to local vision, but keeping the same field size and
number of players, the SSL would be just a smaller MSL, and maybe a
little bit slower because of the less processing power. It could be more
expensive than the Sony AIBO robots if having a comparable processing
power. Most people (especially when starting new teams) would choose to
compete either in the MSL or the 4LL and it's quite hard to argue for
keeping the SSL as part of the RoboCup competition, because it's not
special anymore.

But if we switch to the bigger field, the SSL would be the first real
Robot League to play 11 vs. 11. That's quite interesting for having more
team play and strategy.

Regards,
Marian Weirich
Team B-Smart