[robocup-small] Game in 8 x 5.5 meter field

Raul Rojas rojas at inf.fu-berlin.de
Sun Nov 6 08:40:13 EST 2005

We made an experiment with our robots: we duplicated the size
of the field. The current field is 4 x 5.5 meters. We put a carpet
measuring 8 x 5.5 meters on the floor. We used two cameras at 3.4
meters from the floor. We put the field in the cafeteria
and made a video of a game between our 2005 and 2002 robots.

You can download the video from:
http://robocup.mi.fu-berlin.de/videos/tests/experiment.wmv

The experiment shows the following:

- it is possible to duplicate the size of the field -- now, and
  using only two cameras.
- it is possible to train in half of the field. We had never
  used that large field size, and other than entering the new size
  of the field in the computer, we did not adjust anything else.
  Adjusting parameters the robots would make them even more accurate.
- Passing is possible and provides a *real* advantage. It is
  feasible to pass more accurately, because there is space and
  because the receiver has more time to adjust its position
- It is more fun
- At the end of the video we show the current field (one half of
  the field we used for the experiment, for comparison)

I know that you do not have that space in your lab - neither do we. That
is why we went to the cafeteria during the weekend. But it is possible
to train in a smaller field and play in a larger one, as midsize
teams do.

Opinions?

Raul Rojas
FU-Fighters Team