[robocup-small] About bigger fields

Raul Lapeira raul at roboticspot.com
Wed Sep 7 17:19:02 EDT 2005

Well, I am not an expert in the f180 league, but as many other spaniards I
think I know a lot about football (which is not necesarily true). :)

I think that if you really want to make matches interesting you need big
fields and small players, one thing I dislike of the f180 league is that you
can not "experience" it, no matter how good the teams are because you have
no time to get excited in the game play, there is no "ow, what a good
3-pass-goal" it is mainly a matter of good shots.

Furthermore with a much bigger field you would promote the use of passing,
because the bateries could not keep up for moving every robot all arround
the field.

And about not being able to build a so large field in your laboratories...
come on, the NASA can not replicate mars just around the corner but they yet
send robots there... I think it is just one more goal to achieve: training
in small fields but playing in big ones.

I know that f180 developers like designing stategic moves in the computer in
a closed and defined way, but if you want to improve AI you must dare to
handle unreliable information, and a big field would provide that scenario.

Only an oppinion of course.

Saludos (regards)

Raul Lapeira Herrero
Project manager