AW: [robocup-small] intelligent wall

Beng Kiat Ng nbk at np.edu.sg
Wed Nov 17 00:38:11 EST 2004

Hi Raul!

1) Regarding the dribbling rule, I have personally clarified with Mike
before the Lisbon competition. So I pretty sure my interpretation is right.

2) Crowding of defense area? We can consider increasing the defense area
size.

TC would really like to from from everyone before making a final decision.
If you support the rules, tell us. If you don't tell us why.

Regards
BengKiat

                      "Raul Rojas"
                      <rojas at inf.fu-be         To:      "'Beng Kiat Ng'" <nbk at np.edu.sg>
                      rlin.de>                 cc:      <robocup-small at cc.gatech.edu>
                                               Subject: AW: [robocup-small]  intelligent wall
                      17/11/04 03:06
                      AM

Hi Beng-Kiat,

my comments to your comments:

>b) Current rules does not allowed a robot with active dribbler to
>continue pushing the ball after turning off the dribbler.

That is not my understanding of the rule. A robot can continue pushing
the ball
if the motor dribbler is off. There were some teams doing this in our
group
in Lisbon. So, I thought the rule, as it is, does not penalize motor
dribblers.

Pushing the ball with an off-dribbler can be done as effectively as
without dribbler.

>Change 7)
>With 5 robots, there's very little passing options while attacking. An
extra robot should make a >lot of difference. The defense area might get
a little crowded though.

That is what I fear: 10 or 11 robots around the goal area. We have
played with more than five
robots in the past (to test), and things get pretty crowded very fast.

>I personally felt that we had removed the walls too early. We are not
ready.  Since we have made the decision, let's try and make it work.

I am slowly mentally moving towards reintroducing the walls or doing
something more effective.
What about a foam wall (polished and smooth), with the same shape of the
old wall,
 which stops the ball but not the robots? The robots could run over this
foam wall, pressing
it against the floor without getting stuck.
We need an "intelligent wall" which goes down with the weight of the
robot, but stands up
to the ball and stops it.

Raul Rojas
FU Fighters