[robocup-small] Field with slope

James Bruce bruce at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 17 16:57:41 EST 2004

Part of the problem for us last year is that the balls weren't placed
all that accurately on the boundary line (not that I blame the refs
given they had to place a ball about every 7 seconds).  They were often
outside the field, which make problems for the software: What's the
valid range of angles to kick at to keep the ball in when it's already
out?  Assuming the ball was inside the field didn't help, since that
meant that "down the line" was ok, when it really wasn't.  Chaning the
rules to move the ball in, even a little bit, will help a lot I think.
10cm should be plenty.

As far as kicking strength, many teams can kick it weakly if needed,
which is good for free kicks when there is an opening.  Adding a 6th
robot is definitely not going to help with creating openings however,
since the extra robot will probably become part of the defensive wall too.

So, when faced with a giant wall, the only options without chip kicks
are: (1) kicking it at your own goal, hoping you intercept it and that
the other team doesn't get there before you can kick it again, or (2)
kicking at a gap in the opponent team at maximum speed and hoping it
goes through.  You can guess what most teams do.

So, we think the 10cm will help, but that the extra robot will hurt.

Jim Bruce
CMDragons / CMRoboDragons