[robocup-small] Chip kickeres and 20% rule

Jacky Baltes (Hansjorg) jacky at cs.umanitoba.ca
Sun Nov 14 19:47:05 EST 2004

Hi,

when we introduced the 20% rule, the idea was to prevent robots from
making it impossible to take the ball away from another robot. The 20%
rule was never intended to dis/allow chip kickers.

Although I did not like the chip kickers, I think they do add
significantly to the vision problem (move to 3D) as well as the strategy
component (You can not block anymore by putting robot on the line, it
has to be close or far enough from the ball). This provides some
interesting general research challenges.

If we put too much emphasis on the 20% rule, then I believe we will put
even more emphasis on the mechanical design of special purpose golf ball
handling devices.

If we as a communittee agree that chip kickers are good, then I think
that we should allow them and therefore allow a team to break the 20%
rule for a fraction of a second when kicking. If chip kickers are good,
why should we make it harder for teams to develop them.

If we as a communittee agree that chip kickers are bad, then we should
just ban them outright irrespective of the 20% rule.

CU,
	Jacky