AW: [robocup-small] Rule changes in SSL

Raul Rojas rojas at inf.fu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 15 15:22:27 EST 2004

There are two things here: a) the discussion about next year, b) ideas
about the future (which are sketchy right now).

My idea of an energy budget is not to limit engineering development.
It is to limit hardware wars. I also like to build faster robots, that
kick ten meters high. But the idea of the whole enterprise is to advance
multiagent robotics, to make robots collaborate and learn. Those are
the hard problems. Buying a 100 watt motor for the robot is much easier
than
making the robots plan and manage their energy (just like humans do).
The idea
of RoboCup is to build antropomorphic robots in the future, which will
exploit the strategies used by humans.

Robotic competitions have always the problem that when someone finds a
shortcut that makes intelligence less important than motors, or kickers,
or whatever,
then the whole competition is much less interesting (and less relevant).
In 1999 someone put a
fast ventilator on a mid-size robot and blew the ball away from the
robot
towards the goal. It works. Terrific idea for winning the tournament -
the opponent
can do nothing. But that
is certainly a hardware-shortcut which makes intelligent behavior
unnecessary.
That's why ventilators were then banned in the mid-size league.

That is my motivation: eliminate or limit arms races. If there is a
better idea
than an energy budget in order to achieve this, let us find it.

Raul Rojas
FU Fighters Team