[robocup-small] Rule changes in SSL (automatic ref and battery swapping)

The BitShifter bitshiftr at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 14 20:55:14 EST 2004

I find this "energy budget" of an automatic ref an interesting concept.   I
have some questions about the idea.

Would the energy budget be global to the team?  If not, how do you propose
to track the energy expenditure on a per robot basis with just a vision
system?  If the only common feature that can be detected across all
patterns, how does one account for arbitrary movements of a robot when its
team mark may be occluded by a handler etc?

Does the energy budget build over time?  An analogy, if a real
football(soccer) player sprinted multiple times across the field, he would
become tired.  If that same player then stood in place for the next couple
of minutes, he would regain his or her stamina.  Also in the case of real
football, there is a break at halftime.  I would imagine most players would
recover their stamina to a large extent.

How would a team be penalized for  going over the energy budget?  Also would
it be charged to the team or the specific offending robot?  If its a
specific offending robot, how would the automatic ref  signal an arbitrary
robot to a team?

How would an automatic ref account for substitutions?

As for the proposed rule that sparked this line, Would we eliminate
substitutions of robots at the half (or at any other time)?  If we restrict
the capacity and swapping of batteries, but do not eliminate substitutions,
we effectively penalize teams that cannot afford to build enough robots to
swap them out at the half.  Teams that can field two complete teams would
have an unfair advantage of fresh batteries at the half.  Also, by
restricting battery swapping, we would not realisticly account for the
players ability to regain stamina at the half by the simple act of resting.

Mark Goldman
Ohio University, RoboCats

The views and opinions expressed are my own and not, necissarily, those of
my team.