[robocup-small] Rule changes in SSL

Peter Michael VOITH tw02a027 at technikum-wien.at
Sun Nov 14 04:08:04 EST 2004

Following the call of Sean Verret to feedback the planned rule changes!

Since Sean's e-mail on Nov. 13th there had been many many answers with
different opinions.

What I expect from the SSL changes is to become more and more like the real
soccer. We have to do one step after the other, but forward and not backward!

Change 1: Limiting the dribblers distance

This is absolutely a great idea (kind of real soccer). After last years rule
(30cm dribbling distance) and without enlarging the field, the new dribbling
distance will not stay in any ratio the field size!
A compromise will be the distance of 40 cm, without any changes on the field
size and number of team players, but this should consider teams with and
without any kind of dribblers (active & passive), because the referee can't
check with 100% security, if the dribbler is turned off after 30, 40 or 50 cm.

According to Mr. Hofmann's email (on Nov 14th), who calls for a ban of all
dribblers. My opinion is that a game like FU Fighters did, was absolutely
fantastic and quick, but it was a step back in view of real soccer. (@ Fu
Fighters, please do not take it personally) There was NO passing!!!

Change 4: ban bluetooth communication

Why this? I think that the teams with Wireless LAN had much more problems! So
why do you only want to ban the communication-system with the least radiation
power in comparison to WLAN????
My opinion is to ban all communications on 2.4 GHz (bluetooth & WLAN) or keep
everything on air!
Just a thought: Limit the number of used frequencies! There were some teams
(e.g. Cornell), who used 3 frequencies (433MHz, 869MHz & 912 MHz).

Change 6: markers & colors

I'm absolutely at Raul's point. Please don't limit the colors!
My opinion is that the vision-system should handle every color of the other
team, but if it is unpossible for one team, then the teams have to ask for
changes (like it always happened) and it never appeared an unsolvable problem!

Another point is that some teams only used the yellow or blue markers, but the
all the other markers where white (like Toin Albatross)? Their white markers
had very special forming?

Change 7: 6 robots per team on the field

Why this? According to the number of robots now (5) and the size of the field
we shall not do any change.
12 robots in the game are to much for the fields size. If you want to
aggrandize the field, please think about, that not every team has not the
budget (buy every year the materials for a larger field) and the
infrastructure (the field now has 22qm (5.5m x 4m)).
Last but not least the increased costs for an extra robot?!

@ Mr. Hofmann: Where should a team with not that large budget build up a field
with 84qm (middle size league) for testing?

Just a thought: Limit (like the Formula 1) the number of spare parts (like
motors, sensors, ...). My opinion is that we have to develop our innovative
ideas and make it more reliable. (in a soccer game one team also has limited
exchange possibilities)
The most important thing should be to enter the World Championships with
innovative ideas in the field of AI or robotics and not only to burn all your
machines (because you can afford) to win the RoboCup SSL.

Change 8: 12 minutes per half; 5 minutes half time break
Sounds good!

Just a good thought is to ask for battery management in each team, so that a
battery change during the half time is not allowed like in real soccer games,
where you can't change the players legs!

Best regards,
Peter Voith
vienna cubes