[robocup-small] [Fwd: Rule changes for 2005]

Jacky Baltes (Hansjorg) jacky at cs.umanitoba.ca
Sat Nov 13 17:28:27 EST 2004

Hi,

overall, I think there has been frightfully little discussion on any of
these issues.

Here are my thoughts:

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 04:49:01PM -0500, Brett Browning wrote:
> Change 1:
>
> The dribbling distance will be set at 500mm for both active and passive
> dribblers.

I am not sure if I understand what a passive dribbler is. If it means
any robot without a dribble mechanism (i.e., a robot that pushes the
ball ahead), then I don't see the point. For the robots in the small
sized league, it is easy to take away the ball from a pushing robot.

In this case, as mentioned previously, it would lead to a game more
similar to ultimate frisbee.

2.) I also like Raul's idea of taking energy consumption into
consideration. This would add another research dimension to the game.
Raff is correct that this would make the SSL game more like soccer
than ice hockey.

However, I would rather have a hardware solution (e.g.,
the maximum battery wattage is 7.2V * X mAh or teams have to install a
power consumption meter).

CU,
	Jacky