[robocup-legged] 11 vs. 11 on a Mid-Size League Field

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Apr 12 10:51:46 EDT 2006

Dear Teams, Hi Thomas,

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Thomas Röfer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Therefore, we suggest to include issues related to 11-11
> > games on the MSL field in the Open Challenge (OC).
> > The only modifications needed to the OC rules is that the MSL
> > field prepared for 11-11 can be used and teams which want to
> > do so must announce it in advance (for organization of the MSL field).
> > All other details of the OC rules remain unchanged (technical
> > description,
> > 3 minutes, any number of Aibos, etc.).
>
> in general, this is a good idea, but there are some organizational problems.

Can we interprete this such that 11-11 issues will be included in the Open Challenge,
if the organizational problems can be solved (and no one objects with good
reasons within the next days)?

> The situation may change if we determine that it is not possible to have
> transportable Four-Legged and Humanoid fields that can be setup on the
> Center Court in a couple of minutes. However, currently we still believe
> that the semifinals and finals of the 4LL and the HL can be played on the
> Center Court in addition to several MSL games.

Mmh, mmh... "setup on the Center Court in a couple of minutes" for 4LL and
HL teams and TV stations watching the Center Court...
I have serious doubts that the performance of 4LL or HL teams
will be the best if there is no time at all to adjust to the lightning
conditions which with no doubt will be changing under such conditions.

This would also be unfair for the teams which are doomed to play
under more strongly varying and unpredictable conditions on the Center
Court than under the more stable conditions of the regular fields.
As a minimum the teams destined to play on the Center Court should have
about 0.5 - 1 h for set up and vision calibration before the game starts.

Of course, also the carpet used at the Center Court should not be
different than the carpets used at the other 4LL and HL fields.

With best regards,
Oskar von Stryk