[robocup-legged] 11x11 RoboCup match

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Jan 6 17:42:46 EST 2006

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Pedro M U A Lima wrote:
<...>
> However, even though I share some of the concerns raised here, especially
> those regarding limited time to change our software so that we cope with a
> larger fields, communication protocols to mix together robots from different
> teams, etc, of one thing I am sure: we should not be so worried about the
> impression we give to the media and so on, but we should rather be worried
> about whether we are fosterinc scientific innovations while we make our AIBOs
> play. And if we keep not facing problems like low light, larger fields, comm
> protocols, etc, we may play  nicer and nicer games, but we will become more of
> an soccer robots industry than researchers...
<...>

As I understood it, the 11x11 demo game was a specific wish by the
organizers and is, I assume, planned as an event for the media
for the purpose of promoting RoboCup, robotics and AI to the general public.
Then the impression which is given to the media by 22 unoriented Aibos on
the field may matter at the tenth anniversary of RoboCup.

Has someone every seriously thought about localizing with the
very limited Aibo camera on a midsize field under midsize conditions?

As mentioned already on the mailing list,
there are actually a lot of new, interesting
scientific questions associated with 11x11 games of mixed teams.
However, most of them are not included in the setup for the regular
competitions in 2006 and the developments in the league are triggered
heavily by the setup of the regular competitions and not by demos.

The only way to include additional scientific questions
associated with 11x11 games in the regular competitions 2006
seems to be the Open Challenge (if the Open Challenge is not
restricted to the four-legged field and can be performed
on the special midsize field for the 11x11 demo).

But to make the 11x11 demo work some good thoughts about the setup
are still necessary. Otherwise it will never work with the very limited
vision hardware available.

With best regards,
Oskar von Stryk
Darmstadt Dribbling Dackels, Member of GermanTeam

--
Prof. Dr. Oskar von Stryk           E-Mail: stryk(at)sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Simulation and Systems Optimization Phone:  ++49 (0) 6151-16-2513