[robocup-humanoid] New roadmap

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Jun 15 04:40:19 EDT 2019

Dear Ludovic, TCs and HL Teams,

Thank you very much for your valuable efforts for the new roadmap draft!

I was not sure, where to post in the forum, as the thread
for roadmap has no posting related to the new draft.

The new draft now focusses more on the scientific and technological
challenges and milestones to be met. This is a very good step forward!

I suggest to add to the Introduction a subsection about the importance of
embodiment, e.g., from the HL home page:

"In the Humanoid League, autonomous robots with a human-like body plan and
human-like senses play soccer against each other. Unlike humanoid robots
outside the Humanoid League the task of perception and world modeling is
not simplified by using non-human like range sensors. In addition to
soccer competitions technical challenges take place. Dynamic walking,
running, and kicking the ball while maintaining balance, visual perception
of the ball, other players, and the field, self-localization, and team
play are among the many research issues investigated in the Humanoid
League."

A quote from Rodney Brooks would fit very nicely here:
"If we are to build a robot with human like intelligence then it
must have a human like body in order to be able to develop
similar sorts of representations."

Source of the quote:
Brooks, R.A., "From Earwigs to Humans",
Proceedings IIAS The Third Brain and Mind International Symposium Concept
Formation, Thinking and Their Development, Kyoto, Japan, May 1996, pp. 59–66.
Appeard in:
Robotics and Autonomous Systems
Volume 20, Issues 2–4, June 1997, Pages 291-304
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921889096000644

PDF available from https://people.csail.mit.edu/brooks/publications.html

Best regards,
Oskar

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019, Ludovic Hofer wrote:

> Dear RoboCuppers,
>
> A draft for the new roadmap is now ready and available at:
> http://www.robocuphumanoid.org/wp-content/uploads/RCHL-2019-Roadmap-Draft1.pdf
>
> It contains detailed information about changes planned in short-term and the
> principles for the long-term evolution of the rules.
>
> While I know that most of you are really busy preparing the competition, I
> think it is important that you get familiar with this document in order to
> be able to discuss it during the RoboCup.
>
> If you have questions or comments regarding this document, feel free to
> write them on the league forum: https://hl.forum.robocup.org/
>
> See you all in Sydney.
>
> Ludovic Hofer

Prof. Dr. Oskar von Stryk         E-Mail: stryk(at)sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Head of Simulation, Systems       Phone:  ++49 (0) 6151-16-25560
Optimization and Robotics Group	  Fax:    ++49 (0) 6151-16-25569
Technische Universitaet Darmstadt http://www.sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Hochschulstr. 10                  D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany