[robocup-humanoid] GameController revision

Daniel Seifert dseifert at fumanoids.de
Sun Sep 4 05:32:02 EDT 2016

Dear Maike and teams,

I would suggest to simply switch back to the SPL GameController
(https://github.com/bhuman/GameController) as the first step in this
process, and then do any bugfixes / extensions on top of that. Ideally
coordinating with them.

"Our" GameController is actually just a copy of the 2014 "SPL"
GameController (with updated team names and logos and a few
cherry-picked commits from upstream). So we have not moved apart from
the SPL GameController so much as we are lagging behind. Thomas Röfer
and the other developers always put effort into having the software
compatible with both leagues. Any changes we made for the
GameController were merged back to
https://github.com/bhuman/GameController, and there was (and
apparently still is) a compatibility mode
(`Rules.league.compatibilityToVersion7`) for the version of the
communication protocol that we used. (Still, it may be worth checking
out the latest communication protocol version, including the
requirement that teams use a common message for team communication,
with tools available for logging and evaluation / visualization). So
updating to the latest "SPL" version likely will "just work", with the
benefit of getting a number of bugfixes and new features right away.

Best regards

Daniel