[robocup-humanoid] Regarding 4.5 Communication and Control

Alejandro Malo Tamayo badalex at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Jan 25 10:35:57 EST 2012

Hi
What I saw is that when the Game Controller receives a message from a "penalized robot,"  the message can change the state on the GC. I thought that it was a bug, but then it is a situation that the GC do not expect.

I am no expert, but I feel that the system is fragile. Messages can be easily forged, that is good because I don't use a robot to develop, but makes me think.

Best Regards
Alejandro

On Jan 24, 2012, at 1:29 PM, Thomas Röfer wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Yes, it should send such a message regularly (try once a second). The
>> dot going yellow and then red denotes a player being offline (or off).
>
> To be more specific: The dot is red, when no message has been received from that robot for 2500 ms. It is yellow, when the last message was received between 1500 ms and 2500 ms ago, and it is green, when the last message was received more recent.
>
> So when you send a message every second, the dot would become yellow whenever a message is lost. Our team (B-Human in the SPL) sends such a message every 500 ms, because wireless networks are naturally bad at RoboCup competitions.
>
> I think the second purpose of the return packet is not useful for the Humanoid League with all its different robots. In the SPL, teams can implement the "manual penalize" and "manual unpenalize" packets, i.e. the referees can press the robot's chest button and this will penalize or unpenalize the robot (indirectly via the GameController). Since there is no standard button in the Humanoid League, referees will most likely not know where to press a button.
>
> Therefore, "message" should probably always be GAMECONTROLLER_RETURN_MSG_ALIVE in the Humanoid League.
>
> Best regards
>
> Thomas

> Dr. Thomas Röfer
> DFKI Bremen
> Cyber-Physical Systems
> Cartesium 0.55
> Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
> 28359 Bremen, Germany
>
> http://www.dfki.de
> www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~roefer
>
> Phone: +49 (421) 218-64200
> Fax: +49 (421) 218-9864200
> eMail: Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
> Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH
> Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strafle 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
>
> Geschäftsführung:
> Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
> Dr. Walter Olthoff
>
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
> Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
>
> Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313