[robocup-humanoid] Regarding 4.5 Communication and Control

Daniel Seifert dseifert at fumanoids.de
Wed Jan 25 10:46:22 EST 2012

Hi

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 20:29, Thomas Röfer <Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de> wrote:
> I think the second purpose of the return packet is not useful for the Humanoid League with all its different robots. In the SPL, teams can implement the "manual penalize" and "manual unpenalize" packets, i.e. the referees can press the robot's chest button and this will penalize or unpenalize the robot (indirectly via the GameController). Since there is no standard button in the Humanoid League, referees will most likely not know where to press a button.

In fact the referees do not touch the robots in the humanoid league,
each team supplies a handler that is responsible to handle their -
e.g. penalized - robots.

Alejandro Malo Tamayo wrote:
> What I saw is that when the Game Controller receives a message from a "penalized robot,"  the message can change the state on the GC. I thought that it was a bug, but then it is a situation that the GC do not expect.
>
> I am no expert, but I feel that the system is fragile. Messages can be easily forged, that is good because I don't use a robot to develop, but makes me think.

Ideally this would not be possible, but as in our scenario the
assistant referee controlling the GC must manually unpenalize a robot,
it would be kind of obvious if a robot cheats and unpenalizes itself.

Daniel

dseifert at fumanoids.de
Phone +49 30 838 75-117 (Office), -125 (Lab)

Freie Universität Berlin
Institut für Informatik
AG Intelligente Systeme und Robotik
Arnimallee 7