[robocup-humanoid] Regarding 4.5 Communication and Control

Thomas Röfer Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
Tue Jan 24 14:29:17 EST 2012

Hi,

> Yes, it should send such a message regularly (try once a second). The
> dot going yellow and then red denotes a player being offline (or off).

To be more specific: The dot is red, when no message has been received from that robot for 2500 ms. It is yellow, when the last message was received between 1500 ms and 2500 ms ago, and it is green, when the last message was received more recent.

So when you send a message every second, the dot would become yellow whenever a message is lost. Our team (B-Human in the SPL) sends such a message every 500 ms, because wireless networks are naturally bad at RoboCup competitions.

I think the second purpose of the return packet is not useful for the Humanoid League with all its different robots. In the SPL, teams can implement the "manual penalize" and "manual unpenalize" packets, i.e. the referees can press the robot's chest button and this will penalize or unpenalize the robot (indirectly via the GameController). Since there is no standard button in the Humanoid League, referees will most likely not know where to press a button.

Therefore, "message" should probably always be GAMECONTROLLER_RETURN_MSG_ALIVE in the Humanoid League.

Best regards

Thomas

Dr. Thomas Röfer
DFKI Bremen
Cyber-Physical Systems
Cartesium 0.55
Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
28359 Bremen, Germany

http://www.dfki.de
www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~roefer

Phone: +49 (421) 218-64200
Fax: +49 (421) 218-9864200
eMail: Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strafle 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschäftsführung:
Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes