[robocup-humanoid] Rule Discussion for 2012

Jacky Baltes jacky at cs.umanitoba.ca
Thu Nov 24 19:55:42 EST 2011

Hi,

I believe that the FIFA rules are not more or less consistent than the
RoboCup rules. There is plenty of vague language when you actually
look at the rules. That is why they have referee certification and
classes etc. We do need to care about FIFA once we start playing
against human, but that won't happen in 2012. We should not look at
the FIFA rules as our bible, but rather adapt them to our context. We
should and need to select the best rules for robotic soccer.

This being said - we do not play corner kicks and indirect kicks, and
it is clear from the indoor football rules that balls thrown into the
other goal are not allowed. We also want to weigh the penalty for
throwing the ball in in such a way that it is not too damaging to goal
keepers so that teams actually try and develop goalies that can
manipulate the ball. In my view dealing with it as a ball kicked over
the other goal line is an appropriate penalty in this case and we
continue with the standard procedure - throw in.

I do not want to limit the throw of the goalie to just the center line
since this in my opinion would lead to more stoppages in the game.

CU,
   Jacky