[robocup-humanoid] Rule Discussion for 2012

Daniel Seifert dseifert at fumanoids.de
Thu Nov 24 13:29:03 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 19:12, Dorian Scholz <scholz at sim.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 05:42 PM, Alejandro Malo Tamayo wrote:
>> Regarding the rules of the game I believe that they should agree with
>>  FIFA's. The throw in is rule 15,
>> its states that "A goal cannot be scored directly from a throw-in."
>> A goal kick is awarded if the ball enters the goal of the opponent, if it
>> enters its own goal a corner kick is awarded.

Incidentially, a goal kick in the humanoid league (cmp rule 16) "is
performed without stopping play according to the throw-in procedure".
As in this case this was no goal but the ball crossed the goal line
and "was last touched by the offensive team then the ball is placed on
the halfway line on the side of the field the ball went out." As there
would be no "side", it's up to the referee.

> This seems to be a slight misunderstanding. The original formulation
> "throw-in" was not completely correct.

You are right. A throw-in as specified in law 15 is taking place after
the ball is out of the field (mirrored by HL rules section 15) and
would not apply to this situation.

> We are not talking about the goalie doing a "throw-in" after the ball has
> been out of bounds, but rather the goalie picking the ball up and throwing
> it from inside it's own penalty area.
> I could not find any FIFA rule that gives any specifics about this
> situation, as this is neither a "throw-in" nor a "goal-kick".
> I would think it is closer to a "goalkeeper punt" ("Abschlag" in German),
> but this is also not specified in the FIFA rules.

The point probably is that it is extremely unlikely that a goal keeper
manages to throw a goal on an actual sized soccer field.

> Also I looked at the Futsal rules, which seems to be the official FIFA
> indoor soccer, but found nothing to clarify this issue.

It actually is rather straight-forward in law 10:

"A goal is disallowed if the goalkeeper of the attacking team throws
or hits the ball intentionally with his hand or arm from inside his
own penalty area and is the last player to touch or play the ball. The
match is restarted with a goal clearance to the opposing team."

This would exactly match the situation at hand. A goal clearance seems
to be the equivalent of a goal kick and here the circle closes :-) A
goal clearance is not feasible in the humanoid league, as it requires
a throw-in by the goalkeeper of the defending team (Futsal rule 16).
Putting the ball on the half-way line is a good compromise for both
teams and follows the logic of the HL adaptation of the rules.

> So, as there are no FIFA rules about this, I think we should decide upon one
> specifically for RoboCup...

Daniel

dseifert at fumanoids.de
Phone +49 30 838 75 125