[robocup-humanoid] Referee Box and rule suggestions

Marcell Missura missura at ais.uni-bonn.de
Tue Mar 23 08:44:32 EDT 2010

Hello,

I noticed that the referee box automatically changes from Ready to Set
after 15 seconds. As a result of earlier discussions on the mailing
list the rules were updated to allow 15 to 30 seconds for automatic
positioning. Wouldn't it make more sense for the referee box to switch
to Set after 30 seconds, so that positioning attempts will not be
interrupted too early?

The referee box is implemented in such way, that every player in a
team has a unique number starting from 1. In case of a substitution
the entering player must be assigned with the number of the leaving
player. Also the well readable number on the body has to be taken care
of. I believe this will result in problematic situations. Is it
possible to change the referee box so that all potential players can
be registered before the game? In a KidSize game this would make three
players plus two potential substitutes numbered from 1 to 5. In case
of a substitution the referee can set the leaving player to inactive
and the entering player to active and the game can continue without
interruption. I believe this is not a very big change to the user
interface and the communication protocol doesn't need to be changed at
all.

And as changing the communication port shortly before the game can
lead to malfunctions, I also suggest explicitely declaring the
suggested port 3838 as the official referee box port that is to be
used, unless technical reasons are preventing it. Communication other
than the referee box should be prohibited on this port to discourage
teams from tricking each other by broadcasting fake referee box packets.

cheers
Marcell Missura