[robocup-humanoid] audience view / Re: [8] Rule Suggestion: Robothandler

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Dec 28 09:11:32 EST 2009

Hi Steffen,

The problem of viewing abilities to the playing field is
a problem of organization (not of the rules).

It is a "standard" problem at RoboCup competitions which
is difficult to realized because it requires permanently
to remind audience and participants to get down
and not to stand up etc.

I am CC'ing general chair (Jacky) and local chair (Carlos)
that they are aware of this issue when preparing the local
arrangements also.

The view is generally better the farther away any people have to stay
from the playing field (i.e. making the restricted field zone
around the field(s) for (quarter/semi) finals as large as possible.

With best regards,
Oskar von Stryk

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009, Steffen Heinrich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Suggestion: Increasing clear view of field for audience
>
> This one isn't really a technical problem. Many people are involved in a
> match and normally everyone is standing.
> 2 referees
> 2 robot handlers
> 2 team leaders
>
> For people watching or filming the match, it's nearly impossible to find
> a good spot because everyone is standing and therefore blocks the view
> (and sometimes even the poles, which can have devastating effects on the
> self-localization of the robots).
>
> So here it would help when teamleaders had to stay behind their desks,
> one referee is also sitting behind the desk (for game controller
> administration) and only one referee and the two robot handlers are on
> (or next to) the field.
> The robot handlers should kneel like a ball-boy in a tennis game until a
> referee allows a robot handler intervention.
>
> We think that these small changes could get a smoother game
> procedure, with less hecticness.
>
> Regards
> Steffen Heinrich
>
> FUmanoids
> Freie Universität Berlin

Prof. Dr. Oskar von Stryk           E-Mail: stryk(at)sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Simulation, Systems Optimization    Phone:  ++49 (0) 6151-16-2513
and Robotics Group                  Fax:    ++49 (0) 6151-16-6648
Technische Universitaet Darmstadt   http://www.sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Hochschulstr. 10                    D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany