[robocup-humanoid] [2] Rule Suggestion: 15-45 seconds ReadyState

Jörg Zimmer zimmer_j at rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Dec 16 07:29:11 EST 2009

In Aibo League we had an official game controller (controlled by assistant referee). After round robin we used a function called “Auto Pause” meaning that all interruptions of the game were not count to official game time. Similar to what you wrote in [1].

The advantage was that repositioning and  other stoppages of the game did not influence the 2 x 10 minutes game time.

The disadvantage was that we sometimes did not finish within scheduled time and delayed the next matches.

I think Auto Pause might be discussed for 2011 if game controller is used by the majority of the teams then.

I understand that we cannot lose 6 minutes of game time to reposition. That’s why I suggested to give it to referees choice to break earlier.

However the old rule only gives only 15 seconds and there are no doubts that this is too short.

So the consensus might be:

up to 10 seconds in case of all robots are manually positioned (should be enough time for the robot handlers)

up to 30 seconds if robots reposition autonomously – can be stopped by referee if no targeted behavior is shown