[robocup-humanoid] Best Humanoid Award

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Nov 8 18:33:24 EST 2007

Hi Thomas,

The best humanoid award is an overall best robot award.
Please note that also each competition and technical challenges has its
own trophies and certificates for the best ranked teams.

If you take your time and read through the rules of 2007 which are still
available at
	http://wiki.cc.gatech.edu/robocup/index.php/Humanoid_League#Rules
then you see the clear definition that the ranking for the best humanoid
robot award in both kid- and teensize is based on the aggregated number of
points in
a) the 2-vs-2 game (kidsize) / penalty kick (competition) and
b) the technical challenge.

In a) the 1st rank has gotten 30pts, 2nd 21pts, 3rd 15pts in 2007.
In b) depending on the performance the same number of points
can be obtained in principle. But in practice the scoring
was much lower for the best 3 teams because no team could fulfill all
technical challenges.

The actual points scored in the technical challenge of the humanoid league
in 2007 can still be found at
	http://wiki.cc.gatech.edu/robocup/index.php/Humanoid_League_Schedule#Summary_of_the_Results_of_the_Technical_Challenge
as well as all other results.

Based on the official rules and obtained results, the voting
for the best humanoid robot award in 2007 had to be done between
the teams with the highest aggregated number of points
in competition and technical challenge, which happened to be
Osaka Kid and Nimbro Teen.

Now for the future, we should give the result in the soccer competition
the double weight than the technical challenges, i.e.

1st in soccer competition: 60 pts,
2nd: 42 pts,
3rd: 30 pts.

Then the winner of the soccer competition will be always ranked first
in the aggregated number of points unless it scores really bad
in the technical challenges and the runner-up in soccer competition
scores really good there.
But please note that at least for the last two years no team was able
to fulfill all technical challenges and to obtain a full scoring.

This suggested doubling of the weight for the soccer competition had
actually been discussed between several members of the technical committee
directly after RoboCup 2007 in Atlanta.
It will also be included in the rule draft for 2008 which will
be distributed to this mailing list within next week.

With best regards,
Oskar von Stryk

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Thomas Röfer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would propose to clarify the selection criteria for the Best Humanoid
> Award. I know, there are four criteria listed in the rules, but it is not
> clear, how they are weighted. In 2007, Freiburg won both competitions, but
> Team Osaka was awarded for the best humanoid. So maybe, we have to define
> what this award is really about:
>
> 1. Is it about the best robot, i.e., the hardware, maybe including the
> low-level control? If that is the intention, the vote should not be
> restricted to the winners of the competitions and challenges, but include
> all robots. There were quite a number of cool robots around, but most of
> them lacked soccer skills. In the Four-Legged League (now Standard Platform
> League) there is a procedure for determining the best Open Challenge
> presentation, in which teams judge each other. This works quite well.
>
> 2. Or is it about the best overall performance? In that case it is hard to
> understand that a team wins both competitions, and the Best Humanoid Award
> goes to someone else (basically for winning the Technical Challenges, which
> gives them too much weight).
>
> Since Team Osaka won, I guess the teams present during the voting
> interpreted the rules in favor of the first possibility. But in that case, I
> would suggest to make the award independent from the absolute ranking in the
> soccer competitions and technical challenges.
>
> Best regards
>
> Thomas Röfer

> Dr. Thomas Röfer                   Office Address:
> DFKI-Lab Bremen                    Universität Bremen
> Safe and Secure Cognitive Systems  Cartesium 02.054
> Robert-Hooke-Str. 5                Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
> 28359 Bremen, Germany              28359 Bremen, Germany
> http://www.dfki.de                 www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~roefer
>
> Phone: +49 (421) 218-64200
> Fax:   +49 (421) 218-9864200
> eMail: Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
> Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH
> Firmensitz: Trippstadter Straße 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
>
> Geschäftsführung:
> Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
> Dr. Walter Olthoff
>
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
> Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
>
> Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313

Prof. Dr. Oskar von Stryk           E-Mail: stryk(at)sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Simulation, Systems Optimization    Phone:  ++49 (0) 6151-16-2513
and Robotics                        Fax:    ++49 (0) 6151-16-6648
Technische Universitaet Darmstadt   http://www.sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Hochschulstr. 10                    D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany