[robocup-humanoid] Best Humanoid Award

Jacky Baltes jacky at cs.umanitoba.ca
Wed Oct 24 10:59:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

I think it is misleading and incorrect to state that Team Nimbro won both
competitions, but lost the best humanoid award.

In the context of the rules kid size and teen sized robots are different
teams, even if they are from the same university and run by the same people.

So in fact, Team Nimbro Kid won their soccer competition, but lost the
technical challenge competition.

Team Nimbro Teen won their soccer competition and I can't remember their
performance in the technical challenge

However, the fact that Nimbro Kid won their soccer match has NO impact on
the chances of Nimbro Teen winning the best humanoid.

I don't think we should open up the best humanoid to a voting competition
for all the robots. I think to be eligible to win Best Humanoid, you must
finish first in your class.

The reason for the vote has always been to just determine whether the best
teen sized or the best kid sized robot should win the best humanoid award.
The reason why we chose a voting mechanism for this was that quantitative
measures alone would always favour the kid sized robots since the problem is
much simpler for smaller robots and therefore the kid sized robots would
perform better than teen sized robots. Note that so far, the vote has not
been successful at this, since the teams have always voted for the kid sized
robot.

CU,
   Jacky

On 10/24/07, Thomas Röfer <Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would propose to clarify the selection criteria for the Best Humanoid
> Award. I know, there are four criteria listed in the rules, but it is not
> clear, how they are weighted. In 2007, Freiburg won both competitions, but
> Team Osaka was awarded for the best humanoid. So maybe, we have to define
> what this award is really about:
>
> 1. Is it about the best robot, i.e., the hardware, maybe including the
> low-level control? If that is the intention, the vote should not be
> restricted to the winners of the competitions and challenges, but include
> all robots. There were quite a number of cool robots around, but most of
> them lacked soccer skills. In the Four-Legged League (now Standard
> Platform
> League) there is a procedure for determining the best Open Challenge
> presentation, in which teams judge each other. This works quite well.
>
> 2. Or is it about the best overall performance? In that case it is hard to
> understand that a team wins both competitions, and the Best Humanoid Award
> goes to someone else (basically for winning the Technical Challenges,
> which
> gives them too much weight).
>
> Since Team Osaka won, I guess the teams present during the voting
> interpreted the rules in favor of the first possibility. But in that case,
> would suggest to make the award independent from the absolute ranking in
> the
> soccer competitions and technical challenges.
>
> Best regards
>
> Thomas Röfer

> Dr. Thomas Röfer                   Office Address:
> DFKI-Lab Bremen                    Universität Bremen
> Safe and Secure Cognitive Systems  Cartesium 02.054
> Robert-Hooke-Str. 5                Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
> 28359 Bremen, Germany              28359 Bremen, Germany
> http://www.dfki.de                 www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~roefer
>
> Phone: +49 (421) 218-64200
> Fax:   +49 (421) 218-9864200
> eMail: Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
> Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH
> Firmensitz: Trippstadter Straße 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
>
> Geschäftsführung:
> Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
> Dr. Walter Olthoff
>
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
> Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
>
> Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313

Jacky Baltes, EITC E2-402 Department of Computer Science, University of
Manitoba Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2
VoIP: +1 (747) 209-4363, Fax: +1 (204) 474-7609
Email: jacky (AT) cs.umanitoba.ca
http://aalab.cs.umanitoba.ca
Gizmo: jacky_baltes