[robocup-humanoid] Best Humanoid Award

Thomas Röfer Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
Wed Oct 24 05:43:40 EDT 2007

Hi,

I would propose to clarify the selection criteria for the Best Humanoid
Award. I know, there are four criteria listed in the rules, but it is not
clear, how they are weighted. In 2007, Freiburg won both competitions, but
Team Osaka was awarded for the best humanoid. So maybe, we have to define
what this award is really about:

1. Is it about the best robot, i.e., the hardware, maybe including the
low-level control? If that is the intention, the vote should not be
restricted to the winners of the competitions and challenges, but include
all robots. There were quite a number of cool robots around, but most of
them lacked soccer skills. In the Four-Legged League (now Standard Platform
League) there is a procedure for determining the best Open Challenge
presentation, in which teams judge each other. This works quite well.

2. Or is it about the best overall performance? In that case it is hard to
understand that a team wins both competitions, and the Best Humanoid Award
goes to someone else (basically for winning the Technical Challenges, which
gives them too much weight).

Since Team Osaka won, I guess the teams present during the voting
interpreted the rules in favor of the first possibility. But in that case, I
would suggest to make the award independent from the absolute ranking in the
soccer competitions and technical challenges.

Best regards

Thomas Röfer

Dr. Thomas Röfer                   Office Address:
DFKI-Lab Bremen                    Universität Bremen
Safe and Secure Cognitive Systems  Cartesium 02.054
Robert-Hooke-Str. 5                Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
28359 Bremen, Germany              28359 Bremen, Germany
http://www.dfki.de                 www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~roefer

Phone: +49 (421) 218-64200
Fax:   +49 (421) 218-9864200
eMail: Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH

Geschäftsführung:
Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes