[robocup-humanoid] suggestion part 4.5 "Colors and Markers"

Thomas Röfer Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
Sat Apr 14 04:18:53 EDT 2007

> Dear Dr.Emanuele Menegatti,
> Dear Organizing and Technical Committees
>
> I'm Norberto Velazquez from Mexico,
> In our experience in Bremen some robots had red leds that was blinking
> during the games and caused problems in our robot and in others vision
> systems, for that I want suggest add at the rules (part 4.5 "Colors and
> Markers"), that: any LED must not be ON or blinking during the
> competitions!
> I don't know if is to late to add this at the rules but I considered
> important comment

Hi,

I am against this suggestion. LEDs can give important information to the
programmers why the robot is behaving as it is. Other leagues, such as the
Four-Legged League, also have robots with many LEDs and besides that orange
is not allowed, basically any other color is. So why can the teams in the
Four-Legged League deal with the problem but the teams in the Humanoid
League cannot? That would be a step in the wrong direction.

Best regards

Thomas Röfer
(B-Human)

Dr. Thomas Röfer                   Office Address:
DFKI-Lab Bremen                    Universität Bremen
Safe and Secure Cognitive Systems  Cartesium 00.055
Robert-Hooke-Str. 5                Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
28359 Bremen, Germany              28359 Bremen, Germany
http://www.dfki.de                 www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~roefer

Phone: +49 (421) 218-64200
Fax:   +49 (421) 218-9864200
eMail: Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH

Geschäftsführung:
Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes