[robocup-humanoid] ?: One question about the position ofImagesensor.

Chew Chee Meng mpeccm at nus.edu.sg
Sun Feb 4 07:05:35 EST 2007

Dear Oskar

Our team had refrained from putting the camera below shoulder and spend a lot of effort to comply to this rule. It is a bit of a challenge especially with omnivision at the same place.  We were not aware that your team used a chest camera in 2006 and the fact that your team was still allowed to compete should be considered to be a one-off waiver or tweaking of rule.

Btw, as omnivision is still approved for 2007 event, pls do not create more confusion by saying that it is non human-like.  We have to first define what we mean by human-like.  In fact, our team had learned a lot of the omnivDear Chew Chee,

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, Chew Chee Meng wrote:

> Dear Oskar
>
> Our main point is that if we want to put it down explicitly in the rule,
> it should be enforced.  Otherwise, each team will start to breach the
> rule and expect the organiser to waive it.  Also, other teams may use
> the same case to justify their breach of rules, e.g. claiming that XX
> team also did it last year.  And we think it is unfair to teams who

I think if the rule in last year had allowed it (not matter what it is)
and the corersponding rule had not changed it is obviously allowed this
year also.

Perhaps we are not talking exactly about the same.
My concrete point is:
We are using (almost) the same robot design in 2007 which we used in 2006
and which was allowed in 2006 (with a camera in the chest and a camera
in the head).
The corresponding wording in the rule had also not changed.

To me it seems that you want to ban the use of our chest camera now.
In principle we can put our chest camera as well in the head
but this needs some time for hardware modification.
Such a request at this time would be higly unfair
to any team which has already prepared their robots and software for
the qualification under the above mentioned conditions.

As I remember your robot had been using omnivision in 2006 which is much
less human like than a directed camera in the chest as our robot never can
see a ball in the back of it and must plan to search for the ball
by coordinating vision and locomotion. This needs time
and complex algorithms to do it efficiently. Therefore, more human
like directed vision is a significant disadvantage to super human
omnivision.

Thank you very much for your understanding.
With best regards,
Oskar

--
Prof. Dr. Oskar von Stryk           E-Mail: stryk(at)sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Simulation and Systems Optimization Phone:  ++49 (0) 6151-16-2513