[UWAB] 2013-2014 GA Aspirations in Computing Award Event

Jennifer Whitlow jwhitlow at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Mar 6 17:25:34 EST 2014

Hi ladies,

As women in computing, we would love to have you volunteer with this year's GA Award for Aspirations in Computing Event on Friday, March 14th 11:00am-7:30pm.

This is a great opportunity to share your experiences with future women in computing and to encourage them to continue their pursuits. The Aspirations in Computing Awards recognize high school females for their accomplishments and aspirations in computing and technology. For more information on the awards,  please visit www.aspirations.org<http://www.aspirations.org>.

Below is a detailed schedule for the event and what we need help with. Please let me know if you are available to help out and with which activities.

The following events take place on the Georgia Tech Camps in the Klaus Advanced Computing Building Atrium and Room 1116:

*         11:00am - Check-In (Volunteers needed to help check attendees in, collect needed forms and distribute nametags/gift bags)

*         11:30am - Lunch and Icebreaker (Hang out with the recipients and share your experience as an Aspiration Award winner)

*         12:30pm - Workshop Begins - Students will be using AppInventor to program mobile devices that will serve as remote controls for their robots/drones. Students will be put on teams and will compete in a series of mazes/puzzles. (We will need score keepers and people to help trouble shoot problems with the laptops, etc.)

*         4:00pm - Award Recipients begin boarding bus to go to the Carter Center

*         4:30pm - Bus leaves the GT campus for the Carter Center (Need 2-3 students to ride charter bus over to the Carter Center with the award recipients)

The following events will take place at The Carter Center:

*         5:00pm - Reception Begins (Volunteers needed to greet guests and award recipients, as well as students to mix and mingle with the attendees)

*         5:30pm - Begin moving everyone in to the Chapel for the award presentation (Volunteers needed to help line up the award recipients)

*         5:45pm - Award Presentation Begins (A few volunteers will help with moving the girls to the stage for the award presentation portion)

*         7:30pm - Presentation Ends/Group and Individual Photos (Volunteers needed to help with distributing and collecting event surveys)

Thank you!
Jennifer

Jennifer Whitlow
GT College of Computing