[UWAB] Jobs for the Fall

Whitlow,Jennifer Nicole gtg160x at mail.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 17 15:01:25 EDT 2007

Dear Students,

We are looking for responsible, energetic, and friendly computing
students who can help us introduce girls/women to computing using
robots, arts and crafts for the digital age, and animation.  We work
with both the girl scouts on the weekends and with the YWCA Teen Girls
in Technology program at 3 area middle schools twice a week after
school.  We also need people to reset kits that we lend out to area
schools (we have 20 LEGO NXT and 30 PicoCrickets).

For a list of dates we will be working with the girl scouts see
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/ice-gt/488.  Some of the events are at girl
scout locations and some are at Georgia Tech.  Students do not need to
work every event!  We are busiest in Sept and Oct and then have about 1
workshop per month after that.  We will always have a team of at least 2
people at each event.  We will pay for your time to get trained on the
hardware and software and travel expenses.

For the YWCA program we need people that can work Tues and Thurs or Tues
and Wed from 4-6pm (not including travel time of about 30 min). We are
introducing the girls to computing using PICO Crickets (see
http://www.picocricket.com/), LEGO Mindstorms robots (see
http://mindstorms.lego.com/), Alice (see http://www.alice.org) and
Scratch (see http://scratch.mit.edu/). We will pay for the time it takes
you to learn these kits and software, prepare materials to use with the
girls, travel to the schools, and time while working with the girls. We
are sending teams of 2 students to each school.

The schools are:
Shamrock Middle School, 3100 Mount Olive Drive, Decatur, Georgia 30033
(up I-85 North from Tech about 12 miles)
Ralph Bunche Middle School, 1925 Niskey Lake Road, S.W. Atlanta, GA
30331 (I-75/I-85 South from Tech about 16 miles)
Chapel Hill Middle School, 3535 Dogwood Farm Road, Decatur, Georgia
30034 (20 East to Candler Rd, right on Candler Rd go 4.6 miles, Right on
Dogwood Farm about 17 miles total from Tech).

You must be in good academic standing.  We pay an average of $12.00 an hour.

If you are interested please send Felicia Auzla fauzla at cc.gatech.edu a
resume and at least one reference.  If you would like more information
please come to an information meeting on Friday July 20th or Tues July
24.  Send e-mail to Felicia Auzla to get the time and place.

Thank You,
Barb Ericson
Director, CS Outreach
College of Computing