[UWAB] Summer Jobs for Undergraduate CS and CM majors:

Jennifer Whitlow gtg160x at mail.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 10 13:12:51 EDT 2007

Summer Jobs for Undergraduate CS and CM majors:

We are looking for outgoing and responsible undergraduate students in good
academic standing to help with our summer workshops and camps.  We offer
workshops for high school teachers and train them about computing using Alice,
free software from CMU that  can be used to create 3D movies and games, and
Media Computation, which was developed by Dr. Mark Guzdial at Georgia Tech and
is used in 1315 and 1316.  With media computation we teach computing concepts
by writing programs that manipulate media such as negating an image and
reversing a sound.

We also run summer camps for middle and high school students.  We use
PicoCricket kits which are arts and crafts kits for the digital age.  With the
Cricket kits kids can create a musical pickle or a stuffed animal that can
react to petting.  We use Scratch which is free software from MIT that can be
used to create 2D animations and games.  We use LEGO Mindstorms NXT robots and
have kids build robots and program them for several different tasks.  We also
use Alice and Media Computation.

We will have 2 information meetings this week.  One on Wed April 11th  and one
on Thurs April 12 both from 3pm - 4pm.  These will be in room 109 of the
College of Computing building.

If you are interested but can't make either meeting contact Felicia Auzla
fauzla at cc.gatech.edu.

Thank You,
Barb Ericson
Director, CS Outreach