[robocup-small] Recent Events in SSL

Ersin AYTAC ersin at aytac.me
Wed Nov 13 01:15:05 EST 2019

Dear SSL Community,

It is our duty to update you on the recent events happening in our league.

I would like to remind you that we are all working for the same goal. Since
our goal is "ONE" what we are mainly discussing is the methodology. EC, TC,
and OC members are from 6 different countries. And, last year we were 17
teams from 10 different countries. Even demographically we are trying to
cover all the sounds in our league.

As you know two of our Organization Committee members resigned. President,
Vice President, Founding Trustees, Trustees, ECs, OCs, and TCs are all
involved in the discussions to make big changes. And big changes do not
happen overnight arguments and counterarguments are given till we reach a
consensus. To make these discussions more public proposed changes will be
discussed in open meetings with all team members in Bordeaux.

As it is stated in the RoboCup website "RoboCup is an international
scientific initiative with the goal to advance the state of the art of
intelligent robots". Some of us are in because of Scientific Research and
some of us are in for the competition. All through the years, the SSL
community has been criticized for the scientific contributions in the
RoboCup Symposium. This year, we introduced Poster Presentations just to
create an interest in the scientific part.

We, the Executive Committee members, have been taking place in RoboCup for
close to 10 years. All the other high level committees have been working on
robotics over 2 decades. So we all putting all our experiences together to
come out with a sustainable road map.

While respecting each other and experiences all the committees and the
community should discuss to reach our common goal. At this point as you may
all received an email including a hurtful and personal speech by a resigned
OC member. We are seeing that email as it is addressing to all EC members.
We are not accepting that kind of inappropriate speech in RoboCup. Ideas
can be discussed, but we cannot criticize personalities. Do not forget this
is a scientific community.

>From the president of RoboCup to a newcomer team members we are all on the
same boat. We want all of you to act/speak with respect to each other and
unite against inappropriate behaviors.
Best Regards,

Flavio Tonidandel - Board of Trustees
Ersin Aytac - Executive Committee