[robocup-small] SSL-Vision progress and camera support

Andre Ryll andre at ryll.cc
Sat Oct 15 10:16:15 EDT 2016

Dear all,

we (TIGERs Mannheim) have recently put some hands on the SSL-Vision
code. Nicolai added the neural network color calibration plugin which
was previously an extra download and also a C++11 high precision timer.
According pull-requests have already been created on github (username
g3force).

I have added camera support for Matrix-Vision BlueFox2 cameras. These
are USB2.0 cameras used quite a lot in research environments for
computer-vision. Resolution 752x480, up to 93fps. They come with a
custom API and do not rely on the clumsy V4L image path. I have
successfully run two of these cameras at 93fps on an Intel NUC with an
i5 processor. Especially for new teams these cameras are a real
alternative, they are cheaper than Firewire cameras (around 300€) and
you also don't need to mess around with Firewire cards/cables.
I have fully integrated these cameras into SSL-Vision, including almost
all tunable camera parameters. Support for this camera is automatically
compiled in if the Matrix-Vision mvImpact library has been found on your
system. Otherwise, this support is silently disabled. Readme has been
extended with according instructions.
An according pull-request was created by me (username asctec-andre)
already two months ago.

Since the creation of these pull-requests there were no comments, no
actions have been taken by the SSL-Vision maintainers. To address this
issue, I would like to offer my support for maintaining the SSL-Vision.
It would be great if one of the current maintainers can grant me write
access to the vision repo (username asctec-andre). Then I can check/test
the pull-requests and eventually address other open issues as well.

Best regards,

Andre Ryll
Project Leader & Founder of
TIGERs Mannheim