[robocup-small] Field Drawings RoboCup 2014

Michael Bleier michael.bleier at robotics-erlangen.de
Mon Jun 30 17:21:48 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

We will be running the field assignment process on Friday, July 4. The
seed numbers will be generated the same way as last year by using
random.org. The teams file is attached to this e-mail.

The source code to the generator program is published at
<https://github.com/Hawk777/ssl-grouping>. This program takes as input
the list of teams, with each team assigned to a bin (1 for top four
seeded, 2 for next four seeded, 3 for all the others, and 4 for new
teams) and also a country. The program generates a random
assignment of teams to fields, such that the bin 1 teams are spread
across fields and the bin 2 teams are also spread across fields. Also,
if the result has two teams from the same country in the same field, it
will start over and generate a new assignment.

The input file we will be using is attached to this e-mail. The first
two seed groups are the Top 8 teams of the last RoboCup in the order of
their achieved places. The fourth group are new teams as selected by the
technical committee in alphabetical order. The third group are all other
teams in alphabetical order.

This year five Brazilian teams are participating in RoboCup. Since the
grouping software cannot deal gracefully with two teams from the same
country in one group we decided to assign "Brazil1" and "Brazil2". This
will lead to a solution that two Brazilian teams in the same seeding
group are not placed in the same round robin group.

To select the two numbers the generator uses as seeds, we will be using
a service called random.org. To generate the numbers, go to random.org,
under Numbers choose Integers, click Switch to Advanced Mode, and choose
the option to use a pregenerated randomization from a particular date.
We will set the number of requested numbers to 2, the minimum value to
1, the maximum value to 1000000000 (1 billion), and the date to
2014-07-04. As an example, if we had used 2014-06-30 (today) instead,
the two numbers would have been 893005867 and 857257209.

We will publish the field grouping as soon as this is done; however, if
you wish, as soon as midnight UTC 2014-07-04 has passed, you should be
able to generate the grouping yourselves by using random.org and
downloading and building the generator.

Best regards,
Michael