[robocup-small] SSL Vision and Referee Network Configuration

Andre R. andre at global-mainframe.com
Sat Jun 18 12:58:31 EDT 2011

In our lab we have different networks to separate traffic and to allow
an easy plug-and-play for our developers and also to provide them with
internet access. A major reason for the separation is our wireless
communication to our robots, which is based on ethernet, but has a very
limited bandwidth. So we are using multicast routing to send only the
packets to the wireless base station which are needed there.
We then tried to separate our internal traffic from the official vision
and referee traffic to keep the delay low. Also no problem with
multicast routing.

There is only one point that makes multicast routing sometimes
problematic: The default TTL of a multicast packet is 1. So a usual
multicast packet arriving at our router will get the TTL decremented to
0 and will be removed. The only way to increase the TTL is to do it in
the application layer, in our case the vision software.

As this is not an option for Istanbul, I think we will use a much
simpler solution with two network interfaces on our main computer. So we
are prepared for any configuration.

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea for the following competitions
to announce the settings in advance. The multicast TTL patch for the
vision can be implemented without any negative sideeffects, so this is
also an option for the next competitions.

Regards,
Andre