[robocup-small] SSL Vision System!!

Christopher Head chead at interchange.ubc.ca
Fri Jan 29 18:46:30 EST 2010

It looks like the league standardized on patterns that are identical in
rotation except for a very small difference in angle between the front
dots and the back dots (specifically, you are seeing IDs 3 and 5). IDs
0 and 4 are also identical in rotation, as are IDs 2 and 6 and 1 and 7.
It's a bit disappointing that this decision was made; although a team
of vision experts at the competition will certainly be able to
configure SSL-Vision to differentiate between these patterns, those of
us who are not vision experts and who do not own ultra-high-end cameras
or who do not have a testing area with perfect lighting will be faced
with significant difficulties setting up testing fields (this is why, at
Robocup 2009, our team used patterns with three colours—it is possible
to make them unique in all rotations). Jitter and blur was bad enough
for us when just detecting colours; detecting angles will make it
horrific (please remember that many of us have trouble finding space to
set up a field of the required size, and that the areas we can find may
be lit by e.g. fluorescent lighting).

Organizers: do you have any recommendations? If we test using illegal
patterns locally, we may not see these problems only to be faced with
them at the competition. If we test using the standard patterns
locally, we may spend a lot of time and effort trying to solve these
problems, only to discover that they never happen at the competition
due to the skill of the vision experts, quality of the cameras, and
level of lighting.

Thanks,
Christopher Head
UBC Thunderbots