[robocup-small] Rewriting Rules

Yang Liu yli at puv.fi
Sun Nov 15 05:59:03 EST 2009

Hello,

In my opinion, there is missing clear instructions to the referee box
commands in current rules, e.g. what are the functions of Halt, Stop,
Ready, Normal/Force Start and under what situation they should be used.
And in the procedures of law  of kick off, indirect/direct free kick,
penalty kick should be also included the procedures of referee box
commands. Our new guys who develop AI have no idea that indirect/direct
free kick doesn't wait for start signal, but kick off and penalty kick
have to wait for start signal. These are not stated anywhere in the
rules.

For me I have also something unclear. There have been quite a number of
occasions where I found the word "it", but difficult to know does it
refer to the robot or the ball. For example in Law 9 Decision 1, "but
under no circumstances should the robot remain in contact or touch the
ball after it has traveled 50 mm", does this "it" refer to robot or
ball? What about if the robot is dribbling the ball which can be
allowed a distance less than 500 mm? Guessing is not good, the rules
should make everything clear.

I also agree with Christoph Lueginger's proposal to make the rules in a
structured way. It could be much easier and more efficient for
different roles of people (software/hardware/mechanics team members,
referees) to understand better.

Best regards,
Yang Liu